St Brides Church Fleet Street

St Brides Fleet Street is possibly London’s oldest site of worship, with Roman and Saxon origins. The first stone structure was in the 6th century on the site of an earlier Roman graveyard and buildings and was dedicated to St Bridgid, hence St Brides, an important Irish saint from Kildare who died in 525 AD. There were several rebuilds after that but it was destroyed in the great fire. Rebuilt to Wren’s design, and said to be his most expensive parish church, it was finished in the 1670’s although the famous steeple was only finished in 1703 and is Wrens highest. Gutted in the blitz, like so many on the evening of the 29th December 1940, it reopened in 1957. It’s thought this is the 7th structure on the site.

It became an important church. It lay between Westminster and the city of London and was a notable stopping off place. King John held both a court there in 1205 and a parliament in 1210. Many notable clergy were attracted to the area around St Brides and in 1501 Wynken de Worde set up England’s first moveable type printing press in St Brides’ churchyard. After all if you want to sell books then being amongst folk that can read is a good start and the clergy were usually literate. He was successful and soon the area attracted poets, playwrights and the great and the good who all wanted to be associated with St Brides

But the last word must go to William Rich. Apprentice baker in Ludgate he fell in love with his masters’ daughter and they were to get married. He wanted to bake a special cake for their wedding but lacked inspiration. Then one day he gazed up at St Bride’s steeple with its diminishing octagonal stages and thought that he could create a cake like that, and the wedding cake was born.

To find out more about St Brides and Fleet Street, book a Fleet Street Guided Walk

A Smithfield statue

In fact a statue above the West entrance to St Bartholomew’s hospital. The hospital was founded in the 12th century by Rahere as part of a priory. It was given a reprieve by Henry viii in 1546 after the priory was dissolved. Hence the statue of Henry, believed to be the only outdoor statue of him in London. Find out more about Rahere and the priory on our Smithfield walk.

The Leopard’s Head

The Leopards Head is the Hallmark for precious metal for London. All metals which are hallmarked within the London assay office – and pass -will be stamped with it. It is also the symbol of the Goldsmiths – one of the City’s Livery Companies. To learn more about livery companies and see the Leopard’s Head join us on our City Highlights tour.

Book here

 

Lovely building

What a lovely building! What the picture shows is the entrance to St Bartholomew the great church. Once a mighty church and part of a priory it has survived relatively unscathed for centuries. Learn more about it on our Smithfield  walk.

Book here

A Wonderful Church Tower

Remember the wonderful summer? Well this is a wonderful church tower in the City of London. The City of London had so many churches. Not all of them are active now and some are just towers or ruins. But they are a reminder of the past and the importance of the church to people. Want to find out more? Join us on our City Highlights or Gardens and Churchyards or Ghost Walk.

Book here: https://prcitywalks.co.uk/contact/

A Caring Profession

It’s here! The Tuesday Teaser!

What a wonderful stained glass window dedicated to a caring profession. But where is it? Find out on our Smithfield or our Churches -West walk! Book here: http://prwalks.co.uk/contact-me.php